Through the lens of a local in Hawai'i by Chara Higaki

Video: Through the lens of a local

Through the lens of a local in Hawai'i 

by Chara Higaki

Being born and raised on the islands of Hawai'i there is so much unknown history that needs to be learned and heard. I have conducted an interview with responses from individuals located across the state of Hawai'i including the islands: Hawai'i, Maui, and Oahu. The purpose of this interview was to understand what knowledge these individuals knew about the history of Hawaii, and their perspective on events occurring today. 


Learn more about 'Ōlelo Hawai'i Link: https://wehewehe.org

Comments

  1. I like how your video showcases the similarities of the Hawaiian history of colonization and diseases, and relates it to our modern society of tourism and COVID-19. I find it funny how your video proves that history repeats itself, and as much as we wish to see a change, we could obviously see many similarities that should have been fixed by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chara, I really enjoyed listening to the video you posted. It's so interesting learning about Hawai'i's culture because I really don't know much about it. I never knew all the meanings of "aloha" and that was fun to hear what people's definitions were. The diseases that were brought to the island is devastating and I can't imagine living in that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (this is Haley Bullard by the way, I don't know how to show my name)

      Delete
  3. Chara,
    I enjoyed this piece. It was wonderful seeing you in Hawaii. I learned so much about the culture and how the disease is being repeated over and over. Hawaiis culture is important to the islands. Thank you for this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this piece to be very interesting hearing locals share their perspectives on different aspects of Hawai'i. I agree that it's important to learn about Hawaiian history and it's shocking that we aren't heavily taught in public schools (in Hawai'i). I have to say, I always enjoy hearing people share what Aloha means to them. What a great piece!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La Llorona by Kimberly Ortega-Ramirez of Redwood City, California

Curation by Courtney Yamaguchi of Hilo, Hawai'i