Hawaiian Inoa by Abigail Roxas of Kalihi, O‘ahu

Hawaiian Inoa

By Abigail Roxas

Kalihi, O‘ahu



There were limited but highly valued personal possessions in the early days of Hawai’i. “Poi pounders, woven mats, a man’s malo (loin cloth), the stone adze of a canoe maker, the bone hooks of a fisherman, the spear of a warrior – all these were prized.” (Pukui, Haertig, Lee) Aside from these possessions, the most precious possession one can own was their name. A Hawaiian name tells a lot about a person. It might tell you about the place and conditions of birth, family lineage, ancestor’s occupation, and mana. “Whatever the meaning behind the inoa… the name itself had mana; the name itself might bear a kapu. Both could play a part in shaping the character, personality – even the fate and fortunes – of the bearer!” (Pukui, Haertig, Lee) Hawaiian names also uphold values bestowed upon the child which creates a unique and special meaning. It is also believed that Hawaiian names are crafted very carefully and diligently because they were thought to influence that person’s mana and spiritual development. 


According to the book Nānā I Ke Kumu by Mary Kawena Pukui, E. W. Haertig, and Catherine Lee and The Polynesian Family System in Ka’u, Hawai’i, there are different categories of naming. Various Categories for Naming in Hawaiian

  1. Inoa Kupuna (koo - pu - na): this is when a person hands their name down to a family descendant, their name then becomes inoa kupuna (ancestral name). It was then up to the owner of the name to ensure that kapu (harmful influences) wasn’t attached to the name. 
  2. Inoa Hō‘ailona (ho - ay - lo - na): this is when a name is given through a vision, mystic sign in the clouds, flight of birds, or other phenomenon.
  3. Inoa Ho‘omana‘o (ho - o - ma - na - o): this is when a name is given to someone to commemorate or remember an event.
  4. Inoa Pō: in translation means “night name.” This name is given in a dream to a member of the ‘ohana (family). 
  5. Inoa ‘Ūlāleo (u - la - le - yo): this is when a name is given via a mystical voice speaking or an oblique message and was a gift from the ‘aumakua (family god).
  6. Inoa Kūamuamu (koo - wa - mu - wa - mu): this is when a name is given to someone to ridicule another person or to protect a child from a harmful spirit. 


It was common practice amongst the ali’i to receive multiple names in their lifetime based on events that occur accordingly. For example, Kamehameha received from chiefs and fighting men of Maui the name Pai‘ea (pai - e - ya). He also received names like Kūnuiākea (koo - nu - iya - keya) and Ka‘iwakīloumoku (cah - ee - va - kee - lo - oo - mo - koo), and even the name Kamehameha itself. Another example is Queen Emma who was named Emma Naea (na - eya) upon birth. She received the name “Kaleleokalani” (cah - leh - le - yo - ka - la - ni) after her son’s passing. Later, the name was changed to “Kaleleonālani” (cah - leh - le - yo - na - la - ni) which translates to the flight of the heavenly ones after the death of her husband - Alexander Liholiho Kamehameha IV. 




Meaning of Ali’i’s Names

  1. Kamehameha (ka – meha – meha): this means the lonely one. He was named after the rearing of a very kapu and beautiful chiefess named Lilinoe. She was brought up in complete solitude in a cave called Kahikipaialewa (cah - hee - kee - pa - iya - leh - va)
  2. Pai‘ea (pai - eh - ya):  this means a hard-shelled crab. Kamehameha was named by his enemies, as a tribute to his courage and endurance in saving Kekūhaupi‘o (ke - koo - how - pee - o)
  3. Ka‘iwakīloumoku (cah - i - va - kee - low - mo - koo): this means the ‘iwa (ee – va) bird that hooks the islands. 
  4. Kana‘iaupuni (cahna - iyaw - pu - ni): this means the conqueror of the nation.
  5. Pauahi (pau - wa - hee): this means consumed by fire. Pau means finished and ahi means fire. Pauahi means destroyed by fire, burned, and to put out a fire.
  6. Lili’u (lee – lee – oo) which means smarting, Kamaka’eha (ka – ma – ka – eha) which means the sore eyes, and Loloku (lo – lo – koo) which means the pouring tears: these are all names given to Queen Lili’uokalani (lee - lee - uwo - ka - la - nee).
  7. Keohokālole:  this means straight hair. She was the mother of Kalākaua and Lili‘uokalani (lee - lee - uwo - ka - la - nee) and was named by Ka‘ahumanu for the straight hair of her father ‘Aikanaka.


At Menlo College, we also have a number of students who have stories behind how they have gotten their names. The following were their responses.

“What is your full name? What does it mean? Can you share the story of how you’ve gotten that name?”



Kaʻiolana Kaikekilakilamapuʻulena Isaac Kon (cah – ee - yo - lahnah; cah – ee – keh – keela – keela – mah – pu – oo - lenah)

“My name means the soaring hawk over the puʻulena winds. The hawk soars within the winds going higher and higher. To my knowledge, my godmother named me and told me it relates to life and how you go higher and higher as a representation on striving for success which I find happiness within.  Isaac is from the bible and I got it because of my mom. My mom is Catholic which helped her through her struggles. I was baptized and it serves as a guidance for me when times are tough.”


Courtney Kanani Yamaguchi (cah – na – nee)

“My middle name is Kanani that means “the Beautiful.” When I was born, my grandmother (my mom ‘s mom) thought I was the most beautiful thing in the whole entire world, so she told my mom to name me Kanani.”


Joseph Collin ‘Ohi kau Pomaika’i e ka Pu’uwai Laula Hamama e Maluhia i Ke Akua ‘Opana’ewa Pakani (ohee - kaw - po - may - ka - ee - eh - ka - pu - u - vai - lau - la - ha - mama - eh - malu - hiya - ee - keh - a - koowa ; o - pa - na - eva)

“My name Joseph Collin is a biblical name that I was given from my grandmother. My middle name is the person who I shall be. It literally translates to “share the blessings of the heart and soul from Jesus. I must spread the words of Jesus, show people love and faith in the lord. ‘Opana’ewa Pakani is my family name.”


Pukana Kahokukaimanakai’opua’okalani Vincent (cah - hou - koo - kai - muh – nuh - kai - oh - pu - wa - oh - cuh - lanee)

“This describes the setting of the sky when I was born. The lone star in the sky resembling a pua or flower and the power it can hold. It was given to me by my father.”


‘Auli’i Kapuahiwahiwaokanoe Young (ow – lee – ee; cah - puwa - hiva - hiva - o - ka - no)

“My middle name literally means ‘the precious flower of the mist’ but my name has kaona (hidden meaning) to it, too. The day my mom was giving birth to me, her best friend and hula sister was the only one by her side. She stayed with her and guided her through labor and my birth.  My auntie’s name is Kapua, and my mom’s name is Noe, together they named me Kapuahiwahiwaokanoe - the precious child (child is referred to as “pua” in Hawaiian culture) of Noe.”


Cassie Kaliko Ha’aheo o ka aina wela o kona Acoba-Lee (cah - li - ko - ha - aheyo - o - ka – ay – na - vela – o - kona)

“The meaning of my middle name is “the proud descendant of the hot land.” I am Hawaiian and it was important for my dad for his children to have Hawaiian middle names. I was told by my grandma that you can’t just come up with a Hawaiian name but to have a kupuna (elder) to bless you with your name. In our family, Aunty Lili, was the one to give us our Hawaiian middle names.”


Moeaikamā'ama'ama Mililani Kekauoha (mo - eya - ee - kama - ama - ama)

“My first name: Moeaikamā'ama'ama means to head towards the light of knowledge. My parents named me after their good friend, Moea, because they loved the name and thought it sounded beautiful. Their friend is from Tahiti and the name originates from there. My dad and his sister (deep roots with traditional Hawaiian culture) added the next part of my name. My middle name: Mililani, was my grandma’s (on my dad’s side) middle name. I sadly don't know the exact meaning, but I was born either right before or right after she passed so it was fitting to pass the name onto me.”


Tasimaisauaaefaaluainaimataututai Falegaoti Natasha Peters (tah – see – my – sa – wa – eye – fa – ah – loowa – eena – eema – tau – too – tie; fa – leh – nga - otee)

“My first name means that you leave your home as one person and then you return as two people. My middle name broken apart means house of the dead. I was named after my great grandmother (middle name.)”


Makenna Ka’uilani Akiko Cockett (cah – oo - wee - la - ni) 

            “My Hawaiian name Ka’uilani means beauty from heaven.”


Ka’ilihiwa Kane (cah - ee - lee - hee - va)

“My full first name is Kaʻilihiwa which literally means: Rare white stone. Hawaiian is a very poetic language, though, and can be interpreted in many ways. That being said, when asked the meaning of my name my parents and their kahu define it as ‘The Precious One.’”


Cole Kela Kawika Kemahinakeilipueo Fuertes (keh - la; kah - vee - kah; keh – ma – hee - na - keh – ee - lee - pu - weyo)

“I have three separate names given to me at birth from my auntie.  These names tell a story, and I will explain the meanings of these names. The first Hawaiian name "Kela" means to excel and exceed in all that I do. The second name "Kawika" is the Hawaiian translation for the name "David" which is my Father's name. My third name "Kemahinakeilipueo" means to "inherit the wisdom of the moon." It's an interesting name because the Hawaiian word "pueo" which is in my name means "owl", and also "wisdom." There is a story about how I got my name; During a bright and clear night sky two days before I was born, my aunty was driving home from work at 10 pm. A full moon was out lighting up the ocean. She glanced at the ocean and noticed something flying towards her. It was an owl which flew along her side as she drove from Lapakahi Beach Park to Puakea Bay Ranch which is about a mile and a half apart. The owl then returned back to the ocean, and my aunty then felt inspired to give this name to me.” 




References

Nā Inoa. (n.d.). Retrieved December 1, 2019, from https://apps.ksbe.edu/olelo/resources/in-house-publications/hui-m-lama-ulu/moolelo/n-inoa.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Llorona by Kimberly Ortega-Ramirez of Redwood City, California

Curation by Courtney Yamaguchi of Hilo, Hawai'i