Mother Earth Yin and Yang by Emily Sandoval of Hayward, California

 


Mother Earth

Yin and Yang

by Emily Sandoval

Hayward, California



I am a big believer in that everything happens for a reason. There is always a lesson in everything we encounter. The universe aligns experiences in our life to teach us things. The experiences aren't always an easy process to go through, but in the end if you have an open mind you will realize that everything is already aligned in the stars. The universe put me through a near death experience while in Hawaii with the ocean. It was a scary lesson, but it made me realize how powerful and strong Mother Nature is. Mother Nature gives off the illusion of being so peaceful and calm, which she is, but not at all times. I don't think people truly understand the force she has until you've felt it in your own body. 

I visited Hawaii for the first time in my life last summer for 2 weeks. I am absolutely in love with nature. I feel extremely connected to the universe. I feel my happiest self when in a forest, at a beach or in the mountains, or under the stars. Going to Hawaii was very exciting for me because of how beautiful it is there. I want to experience the earth from all parts of the world and I haven't traveled to too many places that are as beautiful as Hawaii. I stayed with Angie, my best friend who I met at Menlo and who is my teammate. She took me through the entire Island of Oahu, from tourist spots and local beaches, hikes and waterfalls, delicious food spots consisting of pastries and fresh poke, the Dole Plantation, snorkeling and rock jumping. We were up early and out late everyday exploring. 


Angie was born and raised in Oahu, Hawaii. She obviously knew where all the cool spots were. A  few days before I had to go home to the Bay, she wanted to take me to go to China Walls a spot where the rocks are not too high, its long and flat and the waves comes up high enough to hit you, but the point is to jump as the wave comes up and you go with the wave down into the water. Angie warned me beforehand that when the waves come to make sure you jump at the perfect timing, a second before the wave comes on the rock so the wave does not sweep you away. She told me a tragic story of this girl who got seriously injured because the wave picked her up and she fell back into the water and hurt her neck and spine. 

It made me nervous, but I was going to do it for the experience of it all and to say I could do it. Angie was also nervous so it made me a little skeptical, but she went first. She went to the edge, waited for the wave, and went for it. I watched her disappear into the big white wave. They seemed so light, but heavy at the same time. I walked closer to the edge, but I wasn't all the way there yet. I was trying to mentally prepare myself for what I was about to do. I watched the midst of a wave come close to me, and out of nowhere I feel like my entire body got suckerpunched. I was in the air and my entire body was being thrown around like a rag doll on the rocks. I could have been thrown off the edge, but I believe I was being protected by my guardian angels in that moment. Once I stopped rolling around I was in so much shock I just ran back as far as I could from the edge. I look down and both of my knees are thrashed and bleeding. There are people around me, witnesses who saw it all happen and no one came to help. There is only one explanation for why no one came to help. They just saw me as a haole. 

Angie came back from out the water and this guy went up to her and said, “Hey your friend just got fu***d up by a wave you should go help her.” I sat there just thinking how I could have easily hit my head and got seriously banged up, but thankfully my legs are the only thing that got thrashed. She came over in shock to see me bleeding so much, we went straight to the car and went to a CVS for peroxide and bandages. The lack of ohana surprised Angie, she had a hard time fathoming that no one had helped me. 

As we were driving I just would replay the wave coming at me. It seemed so harmless, like it was just going to fizzle out into thin air. Mother Earth was teaching me a lesson about her power. I told myself that the wave was nothing, but it was more than I predicted. I  underestimated her abilities and now I do not doubt her. I have always seen being in nature and in the presence of the earth's elements as a calming energy force around me, but in that moment I felt somewhat fearful because I was not aware of the strength she held. I know my injuries were not that severe, there was the possibility of near death, but the universe was protecting me at the same time. I hold lots of respect for all elements on this earth so I do not have to go through any more painful lessons. 

After that happened I wasn't able to go on any more hikes because it was too painful to walk and bend my knees. We got to spend my last few days at very peaceful secluded beaches and I really enjoyed that. I got to see both sides of Mother Earth's water element. It made me realize she is like the yin and yang. She can be destructive, yet so peaceful. She is the perfect balance between the two.  To this day I love being in the ocean and always will. She will always cleanse and energize my soul because me and her are connected. We are all vibrating fields of  energies radiating off of each other. She heals me, I heal her. 

Comments

  1. I loved the detailed description of the event, it compels the readers to experience the feelings of the writer. I relate with this piece because I also feel connected with nature and have seen its power. When she mentions that there is a peace and beauty i think this encompass it's power and magnificence. We should have a healthy fear of it, a reverence in front of it because it is a expression of who God is, loving and caring but al the same time consuming fire.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La Llorona by Kimberly Ortega-Ramirez of Redwood City, California

Curation by Courtney Yamaguchi of Hilo, Hawai'i