Driving on The Pali by Roland Merrill of Waikiki, O'ahu

 Driving on The Pali

by Roland Merrill

Waikiki, O'ahu


Driving on The Pali was always one other type of feeling, you know? During the day, could see all the way down the valley, lush and green forests, get waterfalls all over the cliffside on both sides the valley. Sometimes had fog, sometimes clear, even get times its clear AND foggy, just depends which side you was on. But the night time….was small kind spooky, for couple reasons why though. The street lights was always 50/50 when you passed each one, had plenty friends get pulled over on the Pali for speeding, and definitely was one hotspot for DUI checkpoints. But also, the night time weather was little ‘unpredictable’ for the most part, had light rain pretty often, get couple times a month when it just was downfalls, the valley winds usually was gusting, but get the occasional still nights when clouds and fog would build up near the road. More so, you know or at least heard some myths, some ghost’s stories of The Pali, Menehune’s and Night marchers, Pele Roaming, DON’T BRING PORK ON THE PALI, etc. all that which play a part in the great mystique of the Ko’olau Mountain Range. 

My braddah’s and I was straight chillin’ at this house party out in Kane’ohe, I was the D.D. (designated driver) for that night, unfortunately, but we was having fun, doing those fun high-school things we don’t talk about. Too bad for me, I had one curfew at midnight, or as my dad would put it, ‘the car had a curfew.’ But I wasn’t worried about that, until right around 11:45, only being reminded by my buzzing and ringing phone….MOM…

I found the gang, told them I got some lickens to get home to, and we all agreed they was going to find one odd ride home for the night. I rushed to my car, hopped in, and got that buggah going. Nothing too out of the ordinary that night, rushing home to beat my mom at the midnight strike, The Pali being all weird and stuff, the East side winds was small kind gustier than usual, but I mean, I had to get home. I was as alert as I could be on the drive, especially, cause the rain was getting harder as I was driving up. By the time I was at the last turn before the tunnels, it sounded like little pebbles was landing on my car. I could see into the tunnels, but it was all cloudy from the town side of the road, all I could really see was the hazy lights shining through the fog. However, driving up to the tunnel, I also noticed I never seen any other cars, which was a little odd. Normally, get at least one or two cars on The Pali you can spot either ahead or behind you, but tonight, was just me. 

I better not have any food (Pork) in my car… was my first thought as I come out of the second tunnel on the town side, AH! I no time for legends, my mom’s belt was one curse enough. Yelling at myself in my head. Focusing back on the road, I slow down a little, it’s getting tough to see through the clouds and the roads is all slick from the rain, but at least the winds had died down. Then the strangest thing happened, had one old lady and her dog walking on the side of the road, hand out like she needed one ride. I slowed down more, hesitating to stop, but it was cold and the rain didn’t show any signs of slowing down, so I pulled onto the side ahead of her. She came up to the window and asked for “Puowaina,” I didn’t know where or what that was, but I told her “I can take you to Nu’uanu, maybe Ani’ani’ku if your going that way… I in a little rush.” She opened the door to the backseat and sat down holding her dog, I look back to get an answer, but she just smiles and says, “Mahalo,” with one thick Hawaiian accent.

I couldn’t help but notice, the lady had long, streaky, bright white hair that contrasted heavily on her dark and sun-bathed skin. Her eyes were light-brown, hazel-red almost, and her dog! I never had seen a dog like that, a small dog with a long snout nose, big round eyes and tiny pointed ears, with a thick black hide. She was had one light brown gown, with amazing Kapa patterns that seemed almost pounded into the fabric… however, I only took a second or two, before I was focused back on getting home. The roads was still wet, but the clouds and fog was slowly dispersing, and before long, I was stepping on the gas a little more to cut that time past midnight. I knew I was already late, now it was just having a decent excuse for my mom, which would be easier the sooner I got home. 

Suddenly, the rain had just stopped, almost like I drive through one force field or something that stopped the rain, so, I turned off my windshield wipers. Without slowing down or drifting off path, I stare, mesmerized by the clarity and beauty of the valley. Not a cloud or one single drop of rain anywhere ahead of me, a starry night and bright full moon. All the street lights weren’t working oddly enough, but the moonlight was bright, revealing waterfalls on the cliff face flowing upwards, to the sky. On the horizon, the sky was shooting streaks of light and dark blue hue’s as a sign of suns first light of the day. I felt overwhelmingly relaxed, connected to everything I was seeing. I also, could hear the faint humming of the lady in the backseat, of what I assumed to be an old Hawaiian song or hymn, I couldn’t quite make it out. However, I did also hear her sniffling, I check the rear-view mirror for a quick second, only seeing her gaze out the window, wiping tears off of her cheek. I ask her if she is okay, but she looks forward into the mirror, smiles and nods, and turns back towards the window. Her dog lay next to her on the seat, the ladies hand patting its head, continuing on in her humming. Wait! First light?

Before you know it, my heart is racing again because I had lost track of the time. It felt like I have been driving forever, driving through thick jungle and the twists and turns through the valley. I should have made it to the stop light at the top of Nu’uanu already, I look back to ask the lady if the road feels longer than usual, but she’s still humming and gazing out the window, so I turned back to the road. Finally! I see the stop lights as I come racing around the last bend. I ask the lady again where she was headed just as I’m putting my foot on the brakes to stop for the red light. Still, no response, but I notice her song has become louder, fiercer, as was her crying. The car jerks forward from the stopping at the light, I turn my head towards the backseat. 

No one was there. I stare into the emptiness of my car, just as I started the drive. There was no lady or her dog in my back seat. I turn and stare forward with utter confusion, a tidal wave of questions began filling my mind; Was I dreaming? I swear I picked someone up… Did I just imagine everything? Am I crazy?? Am I insane??? What just happened and who was that!? I peek back and stare into the back looking for clues as to what I think I had experienced. Nothing, except 2 wet spots where my supposed passengers would have been. 

I realize I miss the green light, taking another second to look outside for anyone. Maybe she had just gotten out really fast right as I stopped? Maybe she just jumped? No ways.  I wasn’t able to see much, it was drizzling and the wind had started to pick up, but the light changed and I made my way home. The whole drive home, I thought about The Pali, but getting home, I kept it to myself. Who was going to believe some ghost story, let alone, that it had happened to me? I knew I barely could, but I still wonder who had joined me on that unforgettable drive through The Pali.  



Comments

  1. The story telling technique of this piece allowed me visualize what the Pali Road looks like and how the story unfold. The use of rhetorical questioning and onomatopoeia adds so much to the story and made it enjoyable and personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved how you wrote in a familiar dialect. It felt like I was reading a very cool diary entry and I was truly intrigued and wanted to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story. The way you shared your encounter reminded me of home. I enjoy hearing different scenarios of people driving across the Pali.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I've never heard anyone's personal experience driving across the Pali. People always talk about what might happen, but it's crazy to hear that you experienced something so surreal. I also enjoyed your writing–it felt very homey. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

La Llorona by Kimberly Ortega-Ramirez of Redwood City, California

Curation by Courtney Yamaguchi of Hilo, Hawai'i